CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Do you ever just feel like running a half marathon?

Let me tell you a crazy story...About three months ago my sister Jen asked me if I would be interested in running a 1/2 marathon down in Bryce Canyon. I thought about it and thought about the training involved and felt a little overwhelmed, but thought it would be an adventure. Well after checking my calender, I realized that it was during the same weekend that we would be going out of town and so I told her I couldn't do it. Well about two weeks ago our plans changed and I realized that I would be available. But knowing that I had not been training I quickly put the idea out of my head. But last Thursday (2 days before the race) I called my mom and asked her if she would like to go to Utah with me to cheer Jen on in her race, and maybe even run with her. We decided in a matter of one hour to go (that is really unlike Henry decision making...we usually take at least a week to make these kind of decisions) anyway by midnight on Thursday we were in Provo. Can you believe that I left my family out of the blue....and Chad agreed to watch the girls...all in one hours time frame? I am still surprised. Anyway on Friday afternoon, we headed down to Bryce Canyon which is in southern Utah to run a half marathon. I was very nervous because I had not trained, but I decided to do it. Once I decided the nerves really hit me. I couldn't eat (which I thought wasn't good since I was running 13 miles in less than 24 hours) I couldn't sleep, and I had never run more that 3 miles at one time. Well....Saturday morning at 6:00am we started the run and I did it. I really did it. I even surprised myself and ran alot faster than I thought I could. I never stopped, and at 2 hours 7 minutes and 31 seconds I crossed the finish line. It was emotional, exhilarating, and exhausting. The only thing I can compare it too...and don't laugh...but the adrenaline rush that I get after I have a baby...that is kinda how I felt at the end. Maybe it is the so called "runners high" that I always hear about but had never experienced. The next two days were filled with a lot of ibuprofen and sore muscles, but it was all worth it. I have to say thanks to Jen for encouraging me to do this and running with me. The run was in one of the most beautiful canyons, and it was fun to enjoy it with her. My mom and Cory ran the 5K run and they both got second place in their age divisions. They were amazing! Besides the running, I also got to see the Manti temple on our way to Bryce Canyon...it was beautiful, I got to see Bryce Canyon, see the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sing at Music and the Spoken Word. It was definitely a great break for me away from the kids and I felt totally renewed when I got home on Monday. Chad and the girls had a great time while I was away. Trips to the park, pizza parties, dessert at Applebees, and movie nights. It is so nice that I can leave and not have to worry about if things will be ok at home. Chad never acts like it's a big deal. Well sorry this was so long but it was an amazing trip for me. Here are some pictures of the weekend events. Thank you to Jen and Cory for letting me and mom invade their home at the last minute and drive with them down to the race.

The Manti Temple

Jenn and I coming to the finish line

My mom getting her second place medal after the race.

amazing Bryce canyon

The Mo Tab live...in this picture they are singing The Battle Hymn of the Republic. They actually have won a Grammy for this song. They were singing it for a special group that was attending the spoken word that day. We got to sing with them at the end under the direction of Mac Wilburg. It was pretty amazing.

17 comments:

Janell said...

No, I most certainly don't ever feel like just running a half marathon - but am so so so very impressed you guys were able to pull this off WITH NO TRAINING!!!! How awesome is that??!!! It doesn't sound silly to compare it to child birth - I can see the big reward after something so difficult - so congrats!!

Alicia Leppert said...

Wow. That is majorly impressive. I can't say I've ever wanted to run a marathon (even a half)...ever. I just don't do the "running for fun" thing. But you are awesome for doing it! (And Jen, and Cory, and your mom)

I saw your sweet family at Applebees eating dessert. They were so cute sitting there, Chad and the girls. He said they were on a date. So sweet.

Glad you had such a great time on your trip!

Marilyn said...

Way to go Rachel...and Jen and Cory and Carolyn!

I am glad that you enjoyed a weekend away. I agree that those kinds of weekends feel so renewing.

Jan said...

That is so awesome Rachel and Carolyn. I love this. Way to go.

dandee said...

You Henry ladies inspire me to no end! I'm so glad you got some much needed rejuvination time with family. You are all amazing!

Debie Spurgeon said...

I not suprised you finished. All the running throughout your lifetime was your training. You set your mind to it and did it. Congratulations and way to go!!!

JenFielding said...

This will be one of my favorite memories of all time. I am so grateful that you came down to run with me.

For you readers, Rachel was amazing. At mile 5 I started to pull ahead of Rachel. I didn't want to run by myself but I had trained hard and wanted to get a good time. I looked back a couple of times wishing that Rachel would run with me. 30 seconds later she comes running up beside and said, "I don't want to run this by myself, especially without my MP3 player. If you want to go faster, just leave me." But she stayed with me the entire time. It was so awesome.

And I don't think that anyone loves running. Before I decided to do this 2 miles was pushing my limit. Sometimes though you just have to impress yourself and do something hard.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You have inspired me to dig deep into my closet and find my running shoes....

I am glad that you could attend the broadcast live - and you picked a fun weekend! Come back again soon! ;)

Em and Ms said...

You are amazing. I love that it was just spur of the moment to go run a half marathon. Crazy! Way to go. I am in awe of anyone who could do something like that. I had heard about this but I'm glad to have the details filled in.

chenry said...

This was definitely a weekend of memories and so much fun! Knowing that Rachel had had no food for about 15 hours, very little sleep and no training and Jen didn't have her asthma inhaler with her, I was one grateful (and Proud!)Mama when I saw them both come around the corner toward the finish line! Cory and I breathed a big sigh of relief. Thanks Jen and Cory for always giving us reasons to push ourselves out of the comfort zone!

Wendy said...

Very impressive. I knew you could do it! But don't count on me to ever joing you on that long of a run...2 hours. That would bring about the death of me.

ashley said...

Typical Henry Style. Who else could just run a half marathon without any training! You, your mom, and Jen and Cory are so inspiring! Congratulations, I can't believe you guys ran it in two hours! Way to go. What Jen wrote almost brought tears to my eyes, I'm so glad you two were able to run together. What a great memory to look back on :)

Jodi said...

You are so awesome! I actually started training for a half marathon but never made it. I would love to. I just need to get in shape first. Just a side note - the Manti Temple is my favorite. Ever since I was in primary and saw a picture of it's sealing room. Beautiful! I so wanted to get married there...but I "settled" for the Portland Temple (also beautiful).

Washington Rimmasch Family said...

You Henrys are insane! In a good way. Keep up the Inspiration and perspiration. I will watch from my chair on the sidelines and cheer you on (hee hee). Hey ya gotta have fans right? By the way I just tagged ya so check it out.

The Donald said...

WOW! That is so cool. I applaude the women of the Henry clan that can decide on a whim to "just go run a 1/2 marathon" Congrats to all of you. Maybe this is where Lisa is getting the motivation for the half marathon she plans on running with her sister next year in Utah.

The Donald said...

Oh yes, and Cory too. Didn't mean to leave him out!

Kristi said...

That is awesome and inspiring! It sent me on a google search for a local half marathon to run. I'm still searching.