CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, March 26, 2009

A dog gone crazy afternoon

The other afternoon while on the phone patiently trying to upgrade some service with my satellite company, I heard some screams from the backyard. At first I ignored because I have girls and girls scream...a lot. But then the screaming grew louder and my gut told me something was wrong. I ran outside to find a young yellow lab pouncing on my young girls and biting at them. We do not own a dog, if any of you know my #2 daughter you will know why...the child was born with fear of dogs. Anyway this k9 friend had wandered into our backyard apparently had wanted to play along with the kids, but his 100 lb plus frame was a little intimidating for my girls and he scared them and they started screaming. The dog must have sensed their fear and in turn, started acting up. When I appeared on the scene, he had my little 6 year old by the hood of her sweater and was flinging her around while she is screaming bloody murder. I wedged my adrenaline filled body between her and the dog and tried to get him to release his grip. He would not and I started to panic. I didn't know how I was going to get my little girl away from this dog by myself and I could tell the dog was getting more and more worked up. The dog was pulling on the hood of her sweater so hard that it was choking her and the fear on her little face was one of the worst things I have ever seen. I told my oldest to call 911, because I needed another adult to help me get this dog off of us. Finally the dog let go of the sweater and we ran in the house and shut the door just in time...that dog didn't want to give up. I had to explain to the 911 operator that I had panicked and that we were all OK (except for emotional trauma, that will likely be with my #2 daughter now for life who never was even outside but watched the whole event screaming from the sliding glass door.) and I was sorry to have bothered them. She said that she still had to send out an officer, and so after a report to the Pasco Police I sat down and tried to relive in my mind what had just happened. I am amazed at how our bodies react when we see our children in danger. The amounts of adrenaline that ran through my body for that 5 minute episode must have been high, because my body shook for an hour after that. My muscles in my arms were sore all night because they must have tensed up so tight. All of this trauma over a stupid dog. I'm so glad my girls were all OK, only the sweater was ruined, but it made for great stories to call grandma and grandpa and aunts, and uncles and neighbors and random people who stop at our house and anybody else who will listen. Phew! I'm tired just thinking about it again!

the poor little pink sweater, drenched in dog drool and ripped apart.


the "rug burn" around my brave little one's neck after being yanked around by a dog for 5 minutes.

12 comments:

Jodi said...

Oh my goodness! How scary for all of you. I'm very impressed that you held it together and helped your daughter. I can't believe the mark it left on her neck too. What a tough little girl. Hopefully you won't being seeing that dog anytime soon. Do you know whose dog it is?

Em and Ms said...

How scary! I'm glad you were able to get her away and safely inside. Hopefully the girls won't be too scared...

Debie Spurgeon said...

That's really scary. Who let their crazy dog loose?

I was just reading an article this afternoon about mother's adrenaline and what she can do to protect. (lift cars and such)

PRP said...

How terrifying!!! We love dogs at our house but that would have sent me over the edge. I'm so glad everything worked out in the end.

Maybe take her to a pet store and let her see cute little puppies, from afar, to help ease her fears...:)

Washington Rimmasch Family said...

okay that does it you really are my hero. I'm so glad everyone is safe and you acted so quickly. I would frame that sweater just so you can remeber just how awesome a parent you are. I agree w/ Karen. nothing like a little cuddle with a cute safe puppy now and then to build up some courage and lessen fears.

chenry said...

I missed the pictures of the paw/claw print on Rebekah's back and Emma's banged up knee from getting shoved down by the dog. Oh yeah, I'm paranoid from my own run in with "Fido" back in 1958....So thankful no one was hurt or disfigured.

Amy J. said...

And this my friends is why I always have been and always will be a cat person. :)

Marcus said...

Rach, Honestly, if it were me, I would have boot-kicked that dog so hard in the head that it probably would have been rolling across your lawn. If any stupid animal is messing with any of the girls, call me, not 911. :)

Chase and Elise said...

My mom saw that same stupid dog... it was chasing one of her cats up a tree, but the funny thing is, is that our other cat (which is very protective) was right behind them chasing the dog! She said that it was very entertaining to watch haha. Maybe we should call animal control :)

I remember how afraid ashley was of dogs! glad everyones ok!

Nancie said...

HOLY COW. Rach thats horrible. Did you ever figure out whose dog it was? I wish i was around your neighborhood when that happened. When we have dog fights at the kennel we just get out a hose and soak the dogs. thats the only thing we found that gets their attention off the other dog. Poor girls. That dumb puppy was playing TOOOOO Rough!

Lisa Christine said...

Now THAT is scary! Glad everyone is OK.

Wendy said...

What a brave Bekah! Now Hannah will NEVER get over the dog phobia. Dumb dog.