CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 1, 2008

A weekend of emotions

Maybe after reading this you will think I am too emotional but oh well here goes. Yesterday we went down to Hermiston go to Jess's (Chad's youngest brother) graduation. At first, I must admit I wasn't too excited about sitting through an entire graduation ceremony. I think they are usually too long and boring and the seating is uncomfortable. However I found myself enjoying it more than I expected. As Jess walked to the front to receive his diploma, I felt so proud of him for his accomplishment. Not only did he receive his diploma, but last month he received his Eagle Scout award and he graduated from seminary. I was so proud of him and so that was my first emotion.




After all of the graduates had walked there was one last student. He didn't look like your average student. He was in his late 60's early 70's, used a cane and had a white beard, but he looked just as anxious as the rest of his classmates. They introduced him as a Vietnam vet who had left for war before finishing high school. When he returned he just never found the time to get his diploma, but he promised his wife and kids... and now his grandkids that he would do it and so he finally did. When they presented him his diploma the superintendent, who also had also served our country, had gone behind the stage and changed into his military attire, and so he presented him his diploma dressed military style. I found myself again feeling so proud of a man I didn't even know. Tears were streaming down my face and I was feeling a little silly, but proud for people who sacrifice to serve our country.

After the ceremony we went over to Chad's parents house for some graduation partying. We were having a great time with family and good friends. I was able to meet some of Chad's family's friends from years ago. They shared stories about the "good ole days" and I was thankful to have married into such a wonderful family, with wonderful family stories, and that accepts me as one of their own. Awhile into the party we found one of the family dogs in the front yard and realized she had been hit by a car and that her back was broken. Even though I am not an animal person and really not a little yippy dog lover, I found myself very sad over the loss of this four legged family member. The little kids all reacted to this differently and Sarah was definitely my saddest girl. She would always walk, or be walked by, Lily and loved to cuddle with her on the couch. Hannah tried to seem sad and concerned, but her fear of dogs made me believe that deep down she might have been a little relieved that one less dog would be at grandmas house. Rebekah and Emma just had a lot of questions. By the end of the day we were ready to head home and I was grateful for the emotions that I had felt. I have realized that as I get older I can't hide my emotions as well as I used to, and so when you see tears falling over "silly" things, it's just because I'm getting older. Thanks to everyone who endured this post and made it to the end.

12 comments:

Em and Ms said...

That is such a neat story about that man finally graduating. I'm always impressed by people who follow through on their dreams.

Jan said...

That was powerful Rachel. Love inspiring stories like that. Way to go to everyone.

JenFielding said...

Great post, Rach. There was nothing to endure, it was nice to read about all you had to say. I wonder why we're not animal lovers? I have a theory but I don't think I'll share it. And I'm the same as you, not being able to hide my emotions very well. I'm a communal crier. Once someone starts it's very hard for me to not start too. You should read Stephenie Meyers new book The Host. It's one of my top 3 books of all time. It's an emotional roller coaster and so introspective.

Debie Spurgeon said...

This is what I love about blogging. Inspiring stories and sharing feelings.

I would have been right there emotional with you and through your words I have been.

ashley said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Rachel. It's so interesting to hear from the boys' perspective (on what happened to the yippy dog) over here, and then to hear from a females perspective. Sounds like you guys had an eventful weekend!

As for the Host, I can't get through it. I bought it three weeks ago and it's just dragging soooo slloooww. Any words of encouragement, Jen?

JenFielding said...

Ash, you've got to get through the first 150 pages. A significant change occurs and from there, it is intense. I was the same way, but then to categorize it in to one of my top 3 favorite books tells you it gets really good. I wondered how she could keep the story alive for 600 pages but believe me, it gets going and it's hard to put it down.

Valynn said...

Hi Rachel!!! I found your blog through my sister and had to say hello.

I loved reading about the older gentleman receiving his diploma. If it makes you feel any better, I would have been crying right along with you...I even cried just reading about it. There is something about men in uniform that tug at my heartstrings. Now, if they had only played the song, “Proud to be an American”, I would have been a real mess!

The Donald said...

I didn't know that you had a blog. I guess I will have to add it to my reading list. By the way, I actually just wrote about you in my latest blog. It was about working at B&B together.

dandee said...

Rachel! I just discovered your blog is public! You've always been one of my favorite people and I'm excited to keep up with the happenings in your sweet family!

I really loved this post and I agree with Jen, nothing to endure, just enjoy! Thanks for sharing your emotional experiences.

Lisa Christine said...

Ahh...emotions. I have felt more of them this year than in my whole life combined. That's so sad about the dog. Was it just a hit and run then?

I have been doing great with Elisabeth's shots. I get a little nervous each time...but it usually goes OK. They sent me home with very long needles and I am only supposed to push it in half way so that it doesn't go into the muscle. Also, since I am injecting a gel it takes a while to push it all in. This all amounts to it being a very careful and educational process.

I am adding your blog to my favorites list :)

chenry said...

What a great post, Rach. I'm just catching up on blogs tonight. I wish we would have left our yardwork undone and come on down to Jess's graduation. I love the picture of him and Chad. Two great guys! I'd like to know Jen's theory about the anti-animal lovers. Call me, Jen!

Jodi said...

Very touching - I'm a big "boob" too. I said I AM a big boob... ;)